Hospital/Facility: Desert Regional Medical Center
Location: Palm Springs, CA
The Chief Medical Officer reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer of the Hospital. In addition to solid line reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, there will be dotted line accountability to the Regional Chief Medical Officer.
Founded in 1948, Desert Regional Medical Center is a 387-bed tertiary acute care hospital located in Palm Springs. The emergency department is the Coachella Valley’s only designated trauma center, serving more than 8,000 square miles of Southeastern California.
Desert Regional Medical Center offers a comprehensive array of services that includes: Emergency/Trauma Services, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Institute of Clinical Orthopedics and Neurosciences, Bariatric Specialists, Joslin Diabetes Center, El Mirador Imaging Center, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services. In addition, Desert Regional has expanded three of its clinics to the La Quinta Medical Center at 47647 Caleo Bay: Comprehensive Cancer Center, Institute of Clinical Orthopedics and Neurosciences, and La Quinta Imaging.
The Chief Medical Officer provides leadership, direction and planning for a wide variety of medical and related activities for the hospital. This executive serves as the liaison and resource to management on matters pertaining to medical staff activities. The hospital CMO is committed to the mission of quality, safety, service and improvement of patient clinical outcomes. He or she is a leader in promoting physician performance in these areas, especially those defined by the Balanced Scorecard.
Other key accountabilities include the following:
· Involvement in all initiatives and concerns involving patient safety, quality, infection control and risk management and patient service, especially those related to physician issues.
· Responsible for assuring a robust peer review and credentialing process, ensuring quality, safety, service and behavioral issues on the part of the medical staff are addressed fairly and in a timely fashion.
· Active participation in the care coordination program including monitoring of the appropriateness of procedures, admissions and utilization of resources.
· Oversight of other medical directors at the hospital and evaluation of their job performance.
· Collaboration with the Hospital Compliance Officer regarding physician issues that involve regulatory compliance.
· Selects, trains/orients, and supports assignment of related hospital department staff. Develops standard of performance, evaluates performance, and initiates or makes recommendations for personnel actions.
· Assures compliance with Federal and State law and accrediting and licensing agencies.
· Integrates departmental services with the organization’s primary functions and coordinates with other department/services in a manner that fosters a collaborative environment for teamwork within the department and with other departments/services.
· Models and provides leadership for delivery of excellent customer service and ensures the successful implementation of effective strategies and approaches.
· Leads efforts that will establish the hospital as a top performance as defined by externally reported measures of performance, e.g. CMS’ Value Based Purchasing Program.
· Serves as a change agent for those activities that will create clinical improvement and optimization of related activities or goals.
· Collaborates with other executive leaders to foster greater physician alignment.
· Serves as a resource for the vetting, development and implementation of related activities within Tenet.
· Coordinates efforts for determined public and privately reported metrics that serve to provide benchmarks and establish the hospital as a leading care provider.
· Works with Medical Staff Departments to establish standards of care for patient services.
· Works with physicians and administration to identify key market drivers and develop plans and strategies to address trends and future business development efforts.
· Develops and implements systems and processes to control LOS in key DRG’s.
· Provides leadership and alignment of physicians and physician services within the hospital’s strategic plan and clinical program priorities.
· Develops and implements physician communication strategies that inform, promote information exchange, and socialization.
· Provides service, guidance, and promotion of quality standards through audits, peer review, quality management, and education initiatives.
· Promotes information sharing, benchmarking, and best practice identification across the system.
· Meets with the Medical Staffs of other hospitals to effect ease of patient transfer and communications between facilities and their Medical Staffs.
· If a residency program is in place, the Chief Medical Officer addresses efforts to improve and expand residency rotations at the hospital.
· Serves as the Medical Staff liaison for information technology issues.
· Works with Medical Records and Medical Staff on coding/quality issues and the use of principal, co-principal, and secondary diagnoses.
· Deals with clinical systems problems, identifying cause and developing action plans for effective resolution of issues.
· Addresses patient family provider grievances and follows up on successful resolution.
· Serves as resource to resolve disputes between members of the Medical Staff; follows up on Medical Staff behavioral issues.
· Assists in the development of clinical and business plans for the hospital.
· Plays a key role in decision-making processes regarding new procedures/devices being planned by various members of the Medical Staff.
· Actively engaged in the implementation of an Electronic Health Record at the hospital.
· Stays involved with, and potentially chairs, the Ethics Committee.
· With the support of the hospital CEO, coordinates Joint Conference Meetings between the Medical Staff and the Board of Trustees.
· Assists in updating physician recruitment plan and oversees physician recruitment visits.
· Monitors physician resources consumption and supports the development and implementation of standards for equipment, supplies, procedures and technology utilization.
· Reviews and makes recommendations on physician-requested capital budget items.
· Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
An M.D. degree is required and an MBA, or other advanced management degree, is desired. Certification by one of the Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties is also required.
A demonstrated track record of superior performance in physician leadership roles; a background should have been gained ideally in an health system or major medical group that is recognized for excellence in clinical care and contemporary medical management practices. The successful candidate will be recognized for knowledge in clinical process improvement.
Business skills in planning, use of information systems, financial management, budgeting, reimbursement and managed care, healthcare economics, medical practice management, human resources management and team building, program development, community education, and marketing/referral base development.
Clinical leadership skills in quality and utilization management, clinical effectiveness and outcomes, clinical staff development, case management, clinical protocol development.
Solid knowledge of JCAHO accreditation processes.
Demonstrated knowledge of managed care and health policy that encourages visionary thinking.
Superior clinical competence and track record as a practicing physician.
The capacity to credibly represent the diverse components and interests of the hospital, administration and the medical staff.
Demonstrated management, leadership and executive capabilities. Enjoys working as a member of a cohesive team, and is good at doing so.
Significant understanding of and experience with performance improvement and quality management programs.
Ability to teach and educate and to articulate positions effectively. Excels in effective coaching and counseling of employees, as well as definitive mentoring skills.
Please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org